The Spazio Futuro Group, a well known leader in the pilotage of shopping centers, has expanded the range of its integrated technical services, choosing an approach that created a team of professionals specialized in the assessment of the environmental impact of the building sector.
Particularly, the Spazio Futuro Group follows the environmental assessment protocol BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Methodology), which is the benchmark for major European retail competitors.
What is BREEAM?
BREEAM is one of the most important environmental assessment methods in the construction business. More than 200,000 buildings have been BREEAM certified and over a million have been registered for certification since it was first launched in 1990.
Laying down the highest bio-construction standards of quality, BREEAM is a voluntary certification system, which defines the criteria for low impact design, construction and management, through pre-established parameters and recognized standards.
BREEAM offers to clients, developers, designers and everyone involved:
- Market recognition, for low environmental impact buildings;
- Assurance that the best environmental practice is incorporated into a building;
- Inspiration to find innovative solutions that minimize environmental impact;
- A standard of quality higher than any other regulations in force;
- A tool that helps to schedule more cost-effective maintenance and management and improve indoor environmental conditions;
- A standard that proves the progress made by a company towards sustainability goals.
How BREEAM works
The BREEAM Assessment Protocol evaluates a wide range of environmental and sustainability issues and enables developers and designers to prove the environmental credentials of their buildings to planners and clients.
- sets a straightforward and simple scoring system (credits), supported by evidence-based research;
- has a positive influence on the design, construction and management of the building;
- sets and maintains a severe technical standard through a rigorous system of quality control and certification.
Credits are awarded according to ten categories of evaluation based on performance. They include aspects like energy and water consumption, indoor environment (health and wellness), pollution, transport, materials, as well as waste and management processes. The credits are then totaled to produce a single overall score on a scale of Pass, Good, Very Good, Excellent and Outstanding.
Achievements and advantages
BREEAM aims to reduce the environmental impact of building construction and management, and addresses wide ranging environmental and sustainability issues, not limited to only reducing CO2 emissions.
In addition to the environmental benefits, a BREEAM certified building means:
- Reduced energy use and lower management costs;
- Greater value and visibility on the housing market;
- Improving employee productivity thanks to more comfortable and healthier environments.
The BREEAM procedure evaluates the building after the design phase and issues an Interim Certificate once the Assessor has validated the complete documentation. Once the building is finished, if the project team have met all the requirements, a final BREEAM certificate is issued.
Who’s BREEM for?
Customers, planners, funders and developers use BREEAM to give evidence of the sustainability performance of their buildings in a fast, comprehensive, straightforward way that provides specific standards to follow.
Design teams use it as a method to improve the performance of their buildings, as well as their own experience and knowledge of every aspect of sustainability.
Entrepreneurs use it to be more cost-effective, to evaluate and improve their building’s performance, to improve their staff performance, to develop action plans and monitor the performance of any single building alongside the whole portfolio.
Developers of stores that open their business in shopping centers whose management has joined the Breeam Protocol, will have to adhere to the Protocol criteria as it will be detailed in the obligations manual and explained by the technicians. Operators will benefit greatly from these new implementations in terms of energy saving and eco-sustainability, both directly and indirectly.